OR SHOP BY:
1920s set by Markel. ONE chandelier. FOUR sconces
1 in stock
I’m very pleased to offer FIVE circa-1930 fixtures by Markel!
This listing is for five matching fixtures:
ONE 5-bulb chandelier!
FOUR 2-bulb sconces!
MARKEL ELECTRIC PRODUCTS
Markel Electric Products (MEP) was founded by Joseph Markel (1888-1966) in 1920. Markel was born in Lithuania and came to the United States in 1891. The company was located at 145 Seneca Street in Buffalo, New York. A century ago, this was a bustling industrial area. Down the street was the thriving Larkin Company, and their globally famous Administration Building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
Today, the area is but a shadow of its former thriving self, and block after block is vacant. The Larkin Administration Building itslef was demolished in the 1950s – a stunning act of cultural vandalism.
All large American cities once had busy industrial areas employing millions of workers, most of whom lived just blocks from the factories and walked (or took a streetcar) to work. All this seems like an ancient time, a lost age far, far away when America actually made stuff. Quality stuff, too.
These type fixtures are called strap-style because they are made primarily from flat metal bars, like belt straps. What I love about such fixtures is how curvaceous they are. Just lovely to look at. The style was very popular in the 1920s and 1930s, and used in a variety of home styles including bungalows, Arts & Crafts, Spanish-Revival, Colonial-Revival, and Four-squares.
The fixtures retain their distinctive original polychrome. The main color is a deep gold. There are accents of emerald, red, and yellow.
The chandelier retains its original finial, socket rings, chain, and ceiling canopy. The sconces retain their original mounting buttons.
The fixtures have new cloth-covered wiring.
This fixture will be shipped ready to hang, and with all the mounting hardware needed!
- The fixtures accept standard base 60W bulbs (not included).
- Each sconce has an on/off switch. As I don’t trust old switches I deactivated these. If this feature is important please contact me.
COLOR: See above.
- The chandelier is 27-inches long, and 18-wide. I can remove up to 2-inches of chain; I can add chain.
- The sconces are 10-3/8-inches high, 7-1/2-inches wide, and they project 4-inches.
- I love writing this: there’s no damage.
- The sockets are original (and in fine shape) with new wiring and paper insulators.
- The candle covers are new.
- The polychrome is original and only required some minor touch-ups.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!