OR SHOP BY:
1950s porch sconces by Lightolier PAIR
1 in stock
I’m very pleased to offer this impressive and rare pair of circa-1952 outdoor sconces by the incredible Lightolier Company!
Beginning in the 1920s, and for many decades thereafter, the Lightolier Company (extant today of course) made some of the very finest fixtures. Their designs were always simply dazzling, and the quality was the very very very best. When you restore vintage lights such as I do, these aspects are so obvious they tend to jump out. It’s always a particular pleasure restoring a Lightolier!
INTERESTED IN MORE FIXTURES BY LIGHTOLIER?
Please click here:
The sconces are impressive for several reasons:
- They are larger than you would expect, at 10-inches high, 8-inches wide, and with a projection of 5-inches.
- They are heavy! The back-plates and top-plates are cast aluminum, not stamped.
- The shades are amazingly thick and heavy. They feature a dazzling basket-weave pattern – but in glass! This is really effective, and dramatic, when lighted.
- The sconces are, typically for Lightolier, substantial and well-made.
The cast aluminum components have a matte black finish, and there are smaller components in brass.
In 1952 the sconces were priced at $16.35. I know, you laugh, but that was WAY expensive! You could buy, for example, very nice outdoor sconces by Virden for half that. This premium was for the quality, design, and the Lightolier name. Kinda like the difference between a Chevy and a Rolls-Royce. The premium still applies.
To me, fixtures like these should be in a museum. And not just because they retain all their original parts. It’s the quality, too; the fixtures are light years away from the kind of lighting made today, and was wholly made in America. Remember that far, far away time when this country actually made stuff? And quality stuff at that? Sigh.
While the sconces were first made in the early 1950s, they would have been sold all through the ‘50s and likely early 1960s.
So, if you’ve been looking for a high-quality pair of distinctive outdoor wall lights, then this pair may be ideal.
Wholly restored and with new wiring, this set is ready to hang, and comes with all the mounting hardware needed!
- Each fixture accepts one standard base 100W bulb.
- The brass has been polished. It has not been lacquered.
COLOR: Blass. Glass. Brass.
SIZE: See above.
- The only issue is minor. There are some small chips to the fitting ends of the shades. These cannot be seen with the shades in place.
- The porcelain sockets are original with new wiring.
- The paint has been renewed in its original color.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!