OR SHOP BY:
1930s slip-shade sconces by Virden. FOUR
1 in stock
I’m very pleased to offer FOUR 1930s slip-shade sconces by Virden!
This listing is for four matching wall sconces, and from Virden’s Meredith Series.
The VIRDEN Company
The John C. Virden Company was Canadian-based, at 19 Curity Ave in Toronto. They also had a US presence at 6103 Longfellow Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio. You can Google search the latter, and “stand” in front of the massive brick factory. It is now long abandoned, and its countless widows broken. But it wasn’t that long ago that this factory – like countless such factories across America – was teeming with life, and supporting millions of families. This, back when America actually made stuff.
The sconces have thick glass shades. Gorgeous!
Above the shades are wonderful gold flourishes. Fabulous!
Virden offered five different Meredith fixtures. Four were ceiling fixtures. The sconces are extremely rare; this is the first time I have ever offered them. And to have four!
Wholly restored and with new sockets and wiring, this set is ready to hang, and comes with all the mounting hardware needed!
- The fixtures accept standard base 60W bulbs (not included). I suggest appliance-size bulbs.
- Each sconce has an on/off switch. As I don’t trust old switches I deactivated these. If this feature is important please contact me.
COLOR: The shades are a very pale beige. The bak plates are beige. The flourish is gold.
SIZE: The back-plates are 11-1/2-inches high and 8-1/2-inches wide. The projection is 4-inches.
- I love writing this: there’s no damage.
- The porcelain sockets and wiring are new.
- The finish recreates the original.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!