OR SHOP BY:
1930s set by Virden. FIVE chandeliers. THREE sconces
1 in stock
I’m very pleased to offer this extraordinary opportunity:
EIGHT vintage fixtures by the famous Virden Company!
This listing includes
TWO 5-bulb chandeliers!
ONE 5-bulb surface-mounted!
ONE 5-bulb chandelier with glasses shades!
ONE 3-bulb chandelier with glass shades!
THREE sconces with glass shades!
The fixtures are from Virden’s New Harwick series. This series was first offered in the late 1920s and sold through the 1930s.
The VIRDEN Company
The John C. Virden Company was Canadian-based, at 19 Curity Ave in Toronto. They also had a US presence at 6103 Longfellow Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio. You can Google search the latter, and “stand” in front of the massive brick factory. It is now long abandoned, and its countless widows broken. But it wasn’t that long ago that this factory – like countless such factories across America – was teeming with life, and supporting millions of families. This, back when America actually made stuff.
The set abounds with great details:
- The fixtures feature a hammered effect.
- There are Hobnail glass “oil fonts” and “frosted crystal wind shades”.
- The larger ceiling fixtures have amazing finials.
- I love the leaf details
Please note: “The discriminating taste of those who select these fixtures is reflected through their simple yet compelling charm” – or so said the 1937 catalog.
The set retains all its original finials, ceiling canopies, and glass shades.
ABOUT THE RESTORATION SCHEDULE:
The fixtures are not yet restored. This will take up to three weeks after payment is received. All the wiring will be new; the exposed wiring will be cloth-covered like the original.
ABOUT THE FINISH:
The fixtures, mostly, retain their original finish. This is silvery with a black-ish antique patina, and this will only require some minor attention. The 3-bulb chandelier has been over-painted black. I will restore its original finish. Its brass fitters have been polished bright, too. These will darken over time.
This set will be shipped wholly restored, ready to hang, and with all the mounting hardware needed!
- All the fixtures accept standard base 60W bulbs (not included).
- The mounting buttons on the sconces are replacements.
COLOR: See above.
- The 5-bulb chandeliers are 27-inches long and 17-1/2-inches wide. I can remove up to 6-3/4-inches of chain; I can add chain.
- The 5-bulb surface-mounts are 8-inches high, and 17-1/2-inches wide.
- The 5-bulb chandelier with shades is 30-inches long, and 18-inches wide. I can remove up to 8-inches of chain; I can add chain.
- The 3-bulb chandelier is 35-inches long and 15-inches wide. I can remove up to 14-inches of chain; I can add chain.
- The sconces are 14-inches high, 5-1/4-inches wide, and they project 5-inches.
- The only issue is that the glass shade on one sconce has a small crack. If you turn this to the wall, you will not see it.
- All the wiring will be new. The sockets are in good condition and I will retain them, but with new paper insulators.
- The original finishes look very good, and will only require some minor attention. I will restore the finish on the 3-bulb chandelier (see above).
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!