OR SHOP BY:
1940s Porcelier. Stunning.
1 in stock
I’m very pleased to offer this astonishing 1930s pendant by PORCELIER!
For many decades, Porcelier made some of the finest lighting fixtures and house wares (they closed in the 1950s). There’s a book on their work:
Collector’s Guide to Porcelier China
By Susan E. Grindberg
This fixture was at the very top end of their line, and at a glance it’s easy to understand why. The pendant is a knock-out.
I hardly know where to begin, the fixture has so many outstanding qualities:
- The shade! Oh my! It’s an impressive 14-inches wide and beautifully, stunningly molded out of thick glass. The shade alternates between a pale beige finish and clear glass. The intricate designs are breathtaking.
- There’s a dazzling glass disk just under the main shade. Wow! The disk flares out, and is also deliciously detailed. Magic when lighted!
- The finial is spectacular. It’s a hand-made glass sphere (no two are alike) with a swirling design, like a miniature tornado! I love it!
- The stem is glass (!) and is richly molded!
Basically, you gasp when looking at the fixture. To me, a fixture like this should be in a museum. It is of such a quality, and of such superior design (the details, proportions, and overall look), that we will likely never see such work again. There’s no company making comparable fixtures today. The fixture was also wholly made in the USA. Remember that far, far away time?
It’s hard finding this fixture with its original components intact – I even retained the highly distinctive porcelain sockets by Porcelier (newly wired of course).
The fixture is 13-1/2-inches long overall.
For a long time I’ve had a dream. One day (cue dramatic music) a buyer will contact me. They, too, love love love Porcelier, and wonder if their whole house could be filled with nothing but Porcelier fixtures. I gasp! And reply: Why yes! Please just click here:
Wholly restored and with new wiring, this fixture is ready to hang, and comes with all the mounting hardware needed!
DETAILS: The fixture accepts three standard base 75W bulbs.
COLOR: Pale beige. Glass. Original brass canopy with dark patina.
SIZE: See above.
- There are some subtle scuffs to the beige finish on the shade.
- The porcelain sockets are original (and in fine shape) with new wiring.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!