OR SHOP BY:
1930s pendant by Porcelier
1 in stock
I’m very pleased to offer this amazing 1930s pendant fixture by PORCELIER!
For many decades, Porcelier made some of the finest lighting fixtures and house wares (they closed in the 1950s). There’s a book on their work:
Collector’s Guide to Porcelier China
By Susan E. Grindberg
This fixture was their very best and most expensive – their pièce de résistance. At a glance, it’s easy to understand why. The fixture is a knock-out.
I hardly know where to begin, the fixture has so many outstanding qualities:
- The shade! Oh my! It’s large (16-wide) and beautifully, stunningly molded out of thick glass. There are sweeping designs of flowers and stylized leaves.
- The bottom of the shade is also deliciously molded with a swag frieze. This is incredible when lighted.
- The finial is a hand-blown glass sphere with a swirling design, like a miniature tornado!
- Just above the finial is a wide brass mounting disk. It’s a small detail but oh so important.
- The stem is porcelain (!) with brilliant gold highlights and incredibly pretty, detailed flowers. Wow! Porcelier at its best.
- The canopy is also porcelain, and, like the stem, features brilliant gold trim and intricate flowers.
Basically, you gasp when looking at the fixture. To me, fixtures like this should be in a museum. They are of such a quality, and of such superior design (the details, proportions, and overall look), that we will likely never see such work again. There’s no company making comparable fixtures today. The fixture was also wholly made in the USA. Remember that far, far away time?
It’s hard finding this fixture with all its original components. Imagine my thrill at finding this all-original pendant including its highly distinctive porcelain sockets by Porcelier (newly wired of course).
This pendant is ideal for a room with a low-ish ceiling; it’s just 14-1/2-inches high. Again, the shade is an impressive 16-inches wide.
The fixture accepts a whopping 225W.
Wholly restored and with new wiring, this fixture is ready to hang, and comes with all the mounting hardware needed!
- The fixture accepts three standard base 75W bulbs.
- The brass has been polished. It has not been lacquered.
COLOR: Frosted white and clear glass shade. Off white porcelain (with a faint yellow hue). Brilliantly colored flowers. Brilliant gold trim. Brass.
SIZE: See above.
- The only issue is some clouding to the very upper edge of the glass finial. This cannot be seen from a normal viewing angle.
- The gold trim looks great.
- The sockets are original (and in fine shape) with new wiring. The sockets have the same porcelain hue as the porcelain stem. Nice.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!