OR SHOP BY:
1920s Colonial by Lightolier. 1 chandelier 3 sconces
1 in stock
I’m very pleased to offer this extraordinary opportunity:
FOUR 1920s Colonial-Revival lighting fixtures by the incomparable Lightolier Company!
This listing is for:
ONE 5-arm chandelier.
THREE 1-arm sconces.
Beginning in the 1920s, and for many decades thereafter, the Lightolier Company (extant today of course) made some of the very finest fixtures. Their designs were always simply dazzling, and the quality was the very very very best. When you restore vintage lights such as I do, these aspects are so obvious they tend to jump out. It’s always a particular pleasure restoring a Lightolier!
INTERESTED IN MORE FIXTURES BY LIGHTOLIER?
Please click here:
I get incredibly excited finding a set such as this! And with all their original components, including the original glass shades!!!!!
The shades are really delicious. They have a frosted pattern typical, and evocative, of the 1930s. They also feature stunning cut glass flowers and leaves. The dashing horizontal lines are also cut into the glass. Yum.
Surrounding each shade are nine colonial-style glass drops.
The fixtures are brass.
Scale-wise, the chandelier (17-inches wide) is ideal for an average- to smaller-sized room.
When the fixtures were made they would have been about twice the price of comparable fixtures by other lighting companies. This premium was for the quality, design, and the Lightolier name. Kinda like the difference between a Chevy and a Rolls-Royce. This premium still applies today.
At the height of the Depression, Lightolier made a remarkable investment: they opened up a deluxe state-of-the-art showroom in NYC – a Kingdom Of Light, no less. What I wouldn’t give to time travel (I’m assuming that this will be an iPhone app in a few years).
To me, fixtures like these should be in a museum. And not just because they retain all their original parts. It’s the quality, too; the fixtures are light years away from the kind of lighting made today, and was wholly made in America. Remember that far, far away time when this country actually made stuff? And quality stuff at that? Sigh.
Wholly restored and with new wiring, this set is ready to hang, and comes with all the mounting hardware needed!
- The fixtures accept standard base 60W bulbs.
- Each sconce has an on/off switch. As I don’t trust old switches I deactivated these. If this feature is important please contact me.
COLOR: Brass. Mostly with patina.
- The chandelier hangs down 33-1/2-inches and is 17-inches wide. I can remove up to 15-inches of chain; I can add chain.
- The sconces are 10-1/2-inch high, project 5-inches, and the back-plates are 3-1/2-inches wide x 5-1/2inches high.
- The only issues are minor. On the chandelier, the glass drops have the standard small chips common to vintage drops. On the sconces, each shade has small chips to the top edge; these cannot eb seen if the chips face the wall. The shades on the chandelier are undamaged.
- The glass drops on the sconces are new.
- The sockets are original (and in fine shape) with new wiring and paper insulators.
- The brass has a nice patina. On the sconces, I had to re-polish the back-plates. On the chandelier, I had to re-polish the ceiling canopy, and the very bottom bowl. These components will re-patina.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!