OR SHOP BY:
1930s chandelier by Lightolier
1 in stock
I’m very pleased to offer this incredible 1930s chandelier by the incomparable Lightolier Company!
Beginning in the 1920s, and for many decades thereafter, the Lightolier Company (extant today of course) made some of the very finest fixtures. Their designs were always simply dazzling, and the quality was the very very very best. When you restore vintage lights such as I do, these aspects are so obvious they tend to jump out. It’s always a particular pleasure restoring a Lightolier!
INTERESTED IN MORE FIXTURES BY LIGHTOLIER?
Please click here:
The chandelier is from Lightolier’s Savoy Series, and features five glass “Mellogold” shades. And what shades they be!
When the fixture is not lighted the shades appear to be normal custard glass. But at night, when lighted? Wow. Wow! The shades became sorta translucent, and with a stunning iridescent quality. My images simply cannot capture the effect which is amazing in person.
The metal components retain their original polychrome of deep gold and cream.
Note also the original chain and ceiling canopy.
The wiring is all new. The vertical wire is cloth-covered like the original. Nice.
When the fixture was made it would have been about twice the price of comparable fixtures by other lighting companies. This premium was for the quality, design, and the Lightolier name. Kinda like the difference between a Chevy and a Rolls-Royce. This premium still applies today.
Wholly restored and with new wiring, this fixture is ready to hang, and comes with all the mounting hardware needed!
- The fixture accepts standard base 60W bulbs (not included). I used clear appliance-size bulbs.
- The finial was also a 3-way switch at the very bottom. The switch is broken (they almost always are) and cannot be replaced. So, the finial is now just, alas, a finial.
COLOR: See above.
SIZE: The fixture hangs down about 26-1/2-inches and is almost 19-inches wide. I can remove up to 8-inches of chain; I can add chain.
- I love writing this: there’s no damage.
- The shades have no chips or cracks.
- The sockets are original (and in fine shape) with new wiring.
- The polychrome is original. There are small bits of loss consistent with a vintage fixture.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!