OR SHOP BY:
1920s Lightolier with 5 original shades
1 in stock
I’m very pleased to offer this extraordinary 1920s fixture by the famous Lightolier Company!
Beginning in the 1920s, and for many decades thereafter, the Lightolier Company (extant today of course) made some of the very finest fixtures. Their designs were always simply dazzling, and the quality was the very very very best. When you restore vintage lights such as I do, these aspects are so obvious they tend to jump out. It’s always a particular pleasure restoring a Lightolier!
This 5-shade fixture is typically Lightolier in being rich with wonderful details:
- Above all, the shades! Four small shades and one large center shade. They are original to the fixture (wow!), and feature lovely flowers and stylized leaves. Very sweet.
- The bell-shaped socket cups are more curvaceous than normally seen.
- The four arms are cast brass and rich with detail.
- There are applied cast brass decorative shell flourishes on the body, and with matching details on the canopy. So beautiful.
- The socket cups hang from small brass loops. Normally these are just plain circles. Not so here!
- The chains are also wonderful, and alternate between rectangular and circular links.
- The finial is original to the fixture.
To think that this fixture managed to survive so intact after ninety years! It’s extraordinary! Of course, I replaced all the wiring (with new cloth covered wiring just like the original), and put new paper insulators on the original turn-key switches.
I also gently polished the fixture but not so much as to remove the all-important patina and gold polychrome. Just gorgeous!
Scale-wise, the fixture is large. It’s almost 24-inches from shade to shade.
This fixture is ideal for most home styles built in the 1920s and 1930s, and can be used in a living/dining room, or larger bedroom. Of course, it might also look incredible in your newly renovated kitchen!
This fixture is ready to hang, and comes with all the mounting hardware needed!
DETAILS: The fixture accepts standard base 60W bulbs.
COLOR: Brass with patina. Gold. The shades are white with a pale beige edge. There are green leaves and purple-ish flowers.
SIZE: The fixture hangs down 22-1/2-inches and is almost 24-inches wide. I can remove some chain. If you need the fixture longer please contact me.
- Most of the brass retains its original gold polychrome finish. This is in good vintage condition. The exposed brass now has a patina (it may have been polished originally).
- The shades, by some miracle, are undamaged save some small chips to the fittings ends (which cannot be seen).
- The sockets are original (and in fine shape) with new wiring and paper insulators.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!